The Ulster Historical Foundation team and I had a rollicking good time talking about the challenges Americans have doing Irish research. Fintan Mullan, Executive Director of UHF; Gillian Hunt, Research Officer; and William Roulston, Research Director of UHF walk us through what not to do in our genealogy research.
Five Common Misconceptions or Mistakes in Irish Research:
- Irish research is pointless as the records were all destroyed.
- The only records to search are for the period your ancestors were in Ireland.
- The Irish location recorded in American records is definitely correct.
- You can always be sure of the origins of a family because of the surname.
- People never changed religious affiliation.
Watch on YouTube
Your Pennsylvania Ancestors is distributed through the following channels:
© 2019–2022 PA Ancestors L.L.C. and Denys Allen. All Rights Reserved.